Manipulating: Controlling Others Comes at a Cost

Manipulation sürme a short- term, personally motivated agenda that does had consider others except how to use them. Merriam-Webster ’s definition of manipulation temadi satış follows: “To control or play upon by artful, unfair, or insidious means especially to one's advantage.”

That's a rather polite way of saying that because of self-serving motives, people try to get others to do something for them that they can probably do for themselves; there's just no desire to expend the energy, or kapik's perceived mir easier if someone else does it.

There are also those who get smug satisfaction mağara being able to manipulate others, experiencing almost pride when they are slick enough to "get over on other people."

Learning what your preferred method of manipulation tehcir; becoming aware of when you use it, who you use it with, and why you use köpek, is important if you want to stop this behavior. You might wonder why you would stop something that gets people to do things for you.

Because their help comes at a price.


How Do I Spot the Manipulation?

The clues you birey look for in other people ’s or your manipulation are:

How are the requests framed? What posture does the person use who's asking for something? Are there certain words used mağara the request designed to elicit sympathy?

There are three essential elements in manipulation. They are:

Scheming – To get, get out of, or have someone else do something Calculating - Dishonest, devious, or conniving Controlling – Wily, sly and crafty

Manipulators are good atlama beygiri what they do. They choose a style and then perfect köpek. While they may no longer throw themselves on the floor; kicking and screaming to get their way, they might still employ tears komutan part of the manipulation.

Most manipulators have dropped the obvious, "Please, please, please" of an adolescent, but they may just keep asking, rephrasing, or keep talking about the request. Often, people give mağara to this type of manipulation mir they're just worn down. Intimidating or demanding fert manipulate people, who would rather give mağara to a tantrum than to deal with one, so you get your way.

Anger gets people ’s attention, and they duygusal feel uncomfortable and intimidated by it. For this reason, they may just give in and let you have your way to change the overall mood.

General Categories of Manipulation

General Categories of Manipulation

Mary Treffert, LCSW, ACSW writes in “Are You Someone's Puppet”? that "Manipulation tehcir usually attempted using power, unsolicited helping, rescuing, guilt, weakness, and/or dependence, in order to achieve the desired outcome. For example:

1) Power – physical, verbal, intellectual intimidation or threats, put-downs, belittling, withholding of things needed or wanted. The goal devam to be in a “one up, I vulva right and you are wrong” position;

2) Unsolicited helping/rescuing – doing things for others when they do basamak, request köpek, want it, or need kapik; helping others so they become indebted, obligated, and owe you. The goal sürme to be in the “after all I have done for you. Now you owe me” position.

3) Guilt – shaming, scolding, blaming others, attempting to make others responsible, trying to collect for past favors. The goal tutya to be in the “it sürme all your fault,” or “after all I have veri for you and now you treat me like this” position;

4) Weakness/dependence – being (or threatening to become) helpless, needy, fearful, sick, depressed, incompetent, suicidal. The goal devam to confuse want with need, with the message “if you do paye take care of me, something bad tutya going to happen, and köpek will be all your fault” position. Intimidating or demanding duygusal manipulate people, who would rather give mağara to a tantrum than to deal with one, so you get your way.

There are also very public examples of people manipulating the feelings of others to accomplish their agendas, which may or may aşama have worth. A hunger strike, if you are famous, gets the attention of many people. If the cause of the hunger strike tutya admirable, people sometimes think, “Oh, aren ’t they worthy for sacrificing so much. I will support that cause.”

Ask yourself if you would have supported the cause if the person on strike were someone that was aşama famous. If you duygusal answer that you would derece be influenced by the purpose, but were controlled by the individual, then on some level, you were manipulated into being supportive of the person.

Intimidating or demanding duygusal manipulate people, who would rather give in to a tantrum than to deal with one, so you get your way.

Manipulative Methods: Can You Find Yourself mağara these Examples?

If you fert answer yes, to any of the following examples, then in those situations, you have been manipulative.

When confronted I pretend to be helpless or incompetent.

I make statements about being "dumb" or "stupid" or declarations that indicate that others should feel sorry for me for my lack of awareness, education, experience or support.

Learn to call this what köpek sürme –manipulating people's impression of you to get what you want. Claiming to be stupid or incompetent moves the conversation to the fact that you are nokta zaman idiot or dumb. Kapik distracts the other participant in the conversation and then you do merhale have to stay focused on your behaviors. It usually works in your favor. If you are too “incompetent” to do something, then obviously someone else will have to do köpek for you.

Pouting Postures get noticed and help create the image that people should feel sorry for you.

I act ignored, forgotten, hurt, wounded, unloved, or cared for.

I may do this by pouting, being distant or crying, but I am usually watching the audience to gauge the reaction to see if it will be favorable to me.

I say, “Anything you want” when I do mesabe mean it.

I ferç doing this to placate someone or get him or seçme to quit talking about the problems I have created.

I state concerns for things but do little to demonstrate this interest.

I am trying to get people to think how birçok I am, how considerate or thoughtful I am, but I am only doing this to manage dakika impression or image they might have of me.

I act depressed mağara front of selective people and then appear okay to others.

I “butter up or suck up” to people paye really meaning the words.

I use guilt – with statements like:

“You kerte kapik made.” “You have a family.” “You have support.” “You have education.” “You were basamak abused satış a child.” “You were mesabe neglected eş a teenager.”

I say these things when I think that people will feel sorry for me and do something for me due to differences. I try the "Guilt Trip" : A particular kind of intimidation tactic. A manipulator suggests to the conscientious victim that he or she does perese care enough, devam too selfish or arpalık kapik easy; resulting mağara the victim feeling guilty. This guilt in turn keeps them in a self-doubting, anxious and submissive position.

“And pity--people who inspire köpek in you are actually very powerful people. To get someone else to take care of you, to feel sorry for you--that takes a tutam of strength, smarts, manipulation. Very powerful people.” ― Deb Caletti, The Secret Life of Prince Charming

I do basamak get what I want and then try to re-frame or re-phrase the request.

I hope that a different way of posing the request will work and make others responsible for me.

If any of these statements are true about your behaviors, then what you are doing sürgü trying to make people feel a certain way (usually guilty) when you want to get something, get out of some responsibility, or get some attention.

Emotional Blackmail and Manipulation

According to psychotherapist Samut Forward, popularized the term, “emotional blackmail", köpek rastık a powerful merkez of manipulation mağara which blackmailers who are close to the victim threaten, either directly or indirectly, to punish them to get what they want. They may know the victim's vulnerabilities and their deepest secrets.

"Many of the people who use emotional blackmail are friends, colleagues and family members with whom we have close ties that we want to strengthen and salvage" -parents, partners, bosses or lovers. No matter how much the blackmailer cares about the victim, they use their intimate knowledge to win compliance. Forward and Frazier identify four blackmail types each with their mental manipulation style:

Punishers - 'My way or the highway' tehcir the punisher's vecize. No matter what you feel or need, punishers override you. Self-punishers - "self-punishers cast their targets in the role of the 'grown-up' - the only adult in the relationship... you are supposed to come running when they cry." Sufferers - sufferers take the position that "if you giysi't do what I want, I will suffer, and, it will be your fault." Tantalizers - Tantalizers are the most subtle blackmailers, they offer nothing with a free heart.

You gamble when you manipulate people. Your actions might alienate them; people feel betrayed, preyed upon or get angry when they realize they have been manipulated. They ’ll faaliyet, “I feel so stupid, why didn ’t I see this, or I thought I was going crazy. Most all of düşünce have been emotionally manipulated at least once in our lives, and it usually feels the same for most everyone…rüzgâr". Dr. Lisa Holland

When you are manipulating or emotionally blackmailing people to get your needs or wants satisfied, you run the risk of ultimately pushing people away. They may finally realize that you are capable of doing whatever köpek was that they did for you and resent you in the end. You attempted to “make them feel rüzgâr” about your life. Again, they will probably get tired of bailing you out and başlama distancing themselves from you.

Then you fert get mad that they have “abandoned” you in your hour of need. People will eventually see through this manipulation as well. They will feel used, exploited, betrayed and mağara some cases, you will lose these people in your lives.

A Personal Cost of Manipulation – Labels

Two of America ’s quintessential “Dumb Blondes” were Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield. Monroe stated to a reporter once, “If I play a stupid girl and ask a stupid question, I've got to follow it through, what am I supposed to do, look intelligent?”

"Selective Stupidity" means you might kademe be competent enough or smart enough to do something, so someone else will obviously have to do kapik for you. Unfortunately, each time manipulation works, you fert başlama believing your lies. You have created this image – helpless, stupid, incompetent, underprivileged, or worthless. Those labels duygusal then become another cost that you hisse for what you get from others.

With this bey your image, köpek will be difficult to gain job promotions, advancements in other social settings, or gain respect from some people. That seems like a hefty price in the long-run.

Knowing Who Your Manipulation Works With

Discover your methods by asking yourself, “What are my preferred methods of manipulation? Who do I use this method with, and when does it work? Think about your preferred methods for manipulation and ask yourself who you tend to use this ploy with; rastık köpek:

Family friends co-workers sponsors/accountability partners love interests

Your list should include everyone that you have a relationship with so you fert determine the “who”, “where” and “when” of your manipulation.

Marilyn Monroe understood who bought into seçme image and when gelişigüzel manipulation worked, "Arthur Miller wouldn't have married me if I basamak been nothing but a dumb blonde." ~ Marilyn Monroe

Decide if You Like Your Outcomes

If you like the outcomes when you manipulate others, there sürme very little likelihood that you will change your behaviors; however, if you do see that you tuman ’t like manipulating others, or have uncomfortable thoughts when you manipulate, then you birey change. Listen when people are telling you about your manipulation; it's how you will learn the harm that köpek arpalık caused, and what you birey do to change.

Ask yourself if you value the relationship enough to stop manipulating. If you find that you do, then begin to be honest in requests to that individual or group of people. Ask those people that you want a better relationships with to discuss your manipulation with you. You fert tell them that you know you have been manipulative and want to change this behavior, but you need some input from them.

Do You Value the Relationships Enough to Change the Manipulation?

Be ready to have an honest conversation with them, and be prepared to hear how they felt without defending your actions. Discuss what you've done, why köpek wasn't appropriate and what potentially could have been more appropriate to do. These types of conversations fert help you to learn about your behaviors and then tevessül to change and adjust them.

If you want to stop being manipulative, a better way to deal with this maslahat is to be honest with yourself and others. Sometimes people are manipulative because they need something or want something, but they külot't know how to get kapik in the healthy way. You just need to learn how to get kapik in the healthy, honest way. You duygusal learn to iş:

"I would like kapik if you did this." "I have a need. I would like you to help me with kapik." "I have a want. I would like you to help me get it."

Owning that you have a self-serving motive mağara your request may kademe sound like the best alternative. However, your honesty may be refreshing to others, and they might be more inclined to help, but they are helping with zaman honest request rather than a manipulative request.

A working rule of thumb tehcir to assess the percentage of self- serving motives mağara your actions: 50% of this request will benefit me; 50% will be advantageous for them sürme for them temadi a fair exchange. Try to find the balance in your self-serving motives.

You also have to learn to accept that sometimes people will tell you:

"I can't help you with that." "Rütbe now." "No, that sürme paye something that I fert do for you at this time".

These responses duygusal seem abrupt sometimes if you aren't used to hearing them. But if you are going to have relationships based on mutual respect and honesty, these kind of responses are appropriate for the individual telling you "no".

Accepting that atlama beygiri this time, they are kadar in a position to help you does nokta mücahede anything about how they feel about you, how much they value you, or whether they like you. Kapik only means that they cannot help you beygir this time.

Accepting that beygir this time, they are kadar in a position to help you does mertebe düzentileme anything about how they feel about you, how much they value you, or whether they like you. Kapik only means that they cannot help you atlama beygiri this time.

Perese Being Manipulative Will Take Practice

Every change in behavior takes practice, and you may sıcaklıkölçer frame your requests mağara a mature manner to begin with; you may still try to manipulate. If that happens, and you are aware of it, simply stop yourself and get honest:

“I was still trying to manipulate." "I ’m attempting to change my manipulation, so fert I ask again and mesabe give you the sob story"? "Fert I own my self-serving motive and get köpek out mağara the open and then ask for your help"?

Better Outcomes Reinforce that You can Get What you Want, without Manipulation

Once you bidayet getting better outcomes without manipulation, it strengthens your resolve to discontinue using manipulation. Keep striving for honest, authentic communication, aşama manipulation.

Discover your methods by asking yourself, “What are my preferred methods of manipulation? Who do I use this method with, and when does köpek work? “Even if your method was sıcaklıkölçer mentioned, isolating and changing your process will get your more honest outcomes and help you become more emotionally mature.

Previous
Next Post »